Sunday, August 1, 2010

Thomas Pheasant

I love him.

Well, I love his work, to be clear, having never met him and already being quite in love with someone else, my husband. But if both my husband and Thomas Pheasant were standing in my driveway, begging me to allow one of them to design my living room, I'm afraid I'd have to send my husband off on an errand.

In my defense, if they were both begging for a kiss, my husband would win.

I can't remember who or what introduced me to Thomas Pheasant, a DC based designer that I would love to just answer the phones for, because I know his offices must be splendid. I mean, look:


Yes, that's him, but it's the lamp I can't tear my eyes from. And I love that he found that horse, which is slightly ridiculous, and brought it into that space and poof! Now it's fabulous.

All his rooms just feel like spaces I could be in for a long time. So that's why I love him.

Er, love his work. :)


All images from Architectural Digest.

One of the things that stands out about his rooms, to me, is how he blends traditional leaning items with modern. This is my life's goal, as I am married to a man who loves modern items and, design wise, is in fact somewhat of a minimalist. Compare this to my traditional leanings, complete with braided trim and rooms stuffed with furniture, books and art. 

I believe that a harmonious relationship is reflected in your environment as well. I remember reading an interview with Jennifer Aniston, immediately post-Brad, in which she noted that at least now, she could buy a comfortable couch (apparently Brad likes hard, angular furniture, while she is more slip covered Shabby Chic. At least that's what I gleaned). Therefore, it wouldn't be fair for me to bury our house in antique, sculpted armoires atop Persian rugs, even if they are hand woven and unmatched in beauty by any other type rug in the world. Ahem. The least I can do is toss a clean lined armoire on top of the Persian rug. 

And that is something Thomas Pheasant would do. Albeit better.

1 comment:

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

Funny, I realize none of the photos I selected to post actually boast his modern slash traditional talents. These are definitely more modern. Having studied so many of his rooms, though, I know he does the twist thing - I guess I'll be forced to do another post on him soon. Hard work, but somebody's gotta. :)